University of New Orleans was founded in 1958.
Let us now look more closely at the question
University of New Orleans (UNO) was founded in 1958 as a branch of Louisiana State University. It became independent in 1974 and is now part of the University of Louisiana System. The university is recognized for its top-notch faculty, diverse student body, affordable tuition, and commitment to student success.
UNO has a rich history and many interesting facts. Here are some of them:
- UNO started with only 30 students and 14 faculty members in 1958. Today, the university has over 8,000 students and 400 faculty members.
- The university’s motto is “Privateers are UNO,” and the Privateer mascot is a pirate.
- UNO’s campus is located on the shores of Lake Pontchartrain, and some of its buildings were used as hospitals during Hurricane Katrina.
- The university offers over 60 undergraduate and graduate degree programs, including a renowned program in film.
- Notable UNO alumni include actor Wendell Pierce, NFL player Zach Strief, and jazz musician Terence Blanchard.
As Nelson Mandela once said, “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” And UNO is committed to making education accessible to all. Here is a table summarizing some facts about UNO:
| Founded | 1958 |
| Location | New Orleans, LA |
| Mascot | Privateer |
| Motto | Privateers are UNO |
| Programs | 60+ degree programs |
| Notable alumni | Wendell Pierce, Zach Strief, Terence Blanchard |
Answer in the video
I apologize as no single transcript excerpt was provided in the prompt. Could you please provide a specific section or topic for me to summarize?
You will probably be interested in this
In 1958, the University of New Orleans opened its doors as the first fully integrated public university in the South and has not strayed from that vision in 60 years.
History. State Senator Theodore M. Hickey of New Orleans in 1956 authored the act which established the University of New Orleans.