To get into Barrett Honors College, you must complete an application and meet the minimum GPA and test score requirements. Admission also depends on extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation, and essays.
If you need details
How to Get into Barrett Honors College
Barrett Honors College is a highly prestigious honors college within Arizona State University. Students in the Barrett Honors College are provided with a uniquely challenging academic experience, including engaging coursework, research opportunities, and a tight-knit community of like-minded individuals. If you’re interested in joining the ranks of Barrett Honors College students, here’s what you need to know.
Qualifications for Admission:
To get into Barrett Honors College, students must meet a variety of qualifications. These include:
- Complete an application and pay the application fee
- Meet the minimum GPA and test score requirements
- Provide letters of recommendation
- Submit essays
- List extracurricular activities
Minimum qualifications include a GPA of 3.5 or higher, an SAT score of 1360 or an ACT composite score of 29, and top 5-10 percent class rank or high achievement.
According to Barrett Honors College, “Admission to Barrett, The Honors College at Arizona State University is highly competitive and is based on many factors.” This means that in addition to meeting the minimum qualifications, students who are involved in their communities, have demonstrated leadership skills, and are passionate about their areas of study are highly valued.
- Barrett Honors College was founded in 1988 and has consistently been ranked as one of the top honors colleges in the nation.
- The college has an acceptance rate of around 20%, making it one of the most selective colleges within ASU.
- Barrett Honors College provides unique opportunities for students, including study abroad programs, undergraduate research opportunities, and Thesis and Creative Project options.
- Graduates from Barrett Honors College have an excellent track record of success, with over 70% going on to attend graduate school or accepting job offers within six months of graduation.
- According to Barrett Honors College, “Honors students make up just 2% of the overall ASU student population, however, they represent over 20% percent of all Fulbright Scholarships.”
“An educational system isn’t worth a great deal if it teaches people how to make a living but doesn’t teach them how to make a life.” – Unknown (often attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt)
|Qualifications for Admission | Minimum GPA of 3.5 or higher |
| | SAT score of 1360 or ACT composite score of 29 |
| | Top 5-10% class rank or high achievement |
| | Letters of Recommendation |
| | Essays |
| | Extracurricular Activities |
In conclusion, getting into Barrett Honors College is no easy feat, but with hard work, dedication, and a passion for learning, it’s definitely possible. If you’re ready for a unique academic experience and a supportive community of peers, consider applying to Barrett Honors College at Arizona State University.
See a video about the subject
The Barrett Honors College at Arizona State University’s Tempe campus is a four-year residential college consisting of nine buildings, eight of which are residential. The video showcases the different rooms available, lounge spaces, and the dining hall with a separate seating area. The second floor of Honors Hall has advising offices, a quiet study lounge, the Barrett Writing Center, and the Lorraine W Frank office of national scholarship advisement. The tour also highlights the Barrett Great Court, a space for large events and student hangouts, and the Vista del Sol apartment complex.
You will most likely be interested in this
- Apply to ASU first. Students interested in Barrett must first apply to Arizona State University and then may begin the separate and free Barrett application.
- Activate your ASURITE ID.
- Apply to Barrett.
- Letters of recommendation.
- Test scores.
- Application essays.
- Creative supplement (optional)
Specifically, Willingham rates Barrett as a best honors college in the US for its strong honors program, support for students, well-appointed residence halls, and a dean, faculty and staff committed to student success.
For example, the average unweighted high school GPA of students admitted into Barret in 2021 was 3.81. In terms of test scores, the average composite score on the SAT was 1347, and the average composite ACT score was 29.